The coatings industry has evolved alongside the construction, housing and transportation industries over the past decades to adapt to the changing needs of consumers. Today, paint functions beyond merely as a surface coating for homes from an aesthetics point of view. Coatings now have functional benefits that are able to protect dwellers from harm.
Driven by the philosophy of enhancing lives through innovation, Nippon Paint was the first company in Malaysia to introduce odourless paint, which has since became an industry standard. Aside from this, Nippon Paint looks into providing critical enhancements within its paint technology.
Promoting Healthy Indoor Air Quality
- Formaldehyde is one of the volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in paint and is a very common indoor air pollutant which can be found in many residential units and buildings.
- As people spend more time indoors and buildings are more tightly sealed to improve energy efficiency, there is growing concern about formaldehyde buildup in indoor air. Exposure is known to cause a range of health effects, including:-
- Eye, nose, and throat irritation
- Wheezing and coughing
- Skin rash
- Severe allergic reactions
- Nippon Paint Odourless AirCare is the first paint in Malaysia that uses Active Carbon Technology which absorbs free formaldehyde from the air and converts it to water vapour while strengthening the paint film.
- Clearing the air of the free formaldehyde results in cleaner and fresher air. Besides having ultra-low levels of VOCs and odours, this environmentally-friendly paint is washable, has superior anti-bacterial properties, and does not contain lead or mercury. It is ideal for people who are allergic to formaldehyde and paint odours. Hence, it is recommended to be used in eco-sensitive commercial and residential areas such as hospitals, schools, hotels and homes.
Protecting Children From Harmful Bacteria and Viruses
- A total of 13,497 cases of Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease (HFMD) were reported in Malaysia in 2015 and the disease is usually caused by the Coxackievirus A16 (CV-A16) and the Enterovirus 71 (EV71).
- As young children play, crawl, or walk, they touch walls. However, we tend to overlook walls as a medium that can host and transmit dangerous viruses and bacteria.
- An independent marketing consultancy survey revealed that 86 percent of mothers overlook walls as a medium for bacterial and viral growth.
- Nippon VirusGuard is a sustainable solution that families can trust to provide better protection against harmful microorganisms, while aesthetically enhancing their surroundings.
- With silver being one of the world’s oldest antimicrobials, which resists growth of microorganisms like viruses, bacteria, mould, and fungi, Nippon Virus Guard utilises the “Silver Ion Technology” which employs a three-step approach. It destroys the functions of viruses and bacteria, which in turn prevents production and growth of the microorganisms. Eventually, the metabolism of viruses and bacteria slow down, causing them to slowly perish.
Reducing Indoor Surface Temperature
- In order to promote better indoor comfort in dealing with the extremes of Malaysian weather, Nippon Paint introduced Weatherbond Solareflect that reduces external surface temperatures by up to five degrees Celsius for better indoor comfort.
- As the family grows, the home turns into a centre of activity where food is prepared and children play and develop their neuro-motor skills.
- In order to maintain the aesthetics of the home, durable paints that have excellent washability are required at certain parts of the house – eg. children play areas and kitchens.
- Nippon Paint uses Teflon surface protector technology to allow dirt and stains to be washed off effectively
With its focus on innovations, Nippon Paint has received multiple industry recognitions and emerged as the only paint company in Malaysia that has received the Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands Award for 11 consecutive years. For 2016, Nippon paint also received the Platinum Award, the highest recognition under the Paint Category for Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands Award Malaysia. Nippon Paint was also conferred the Paint Company of the Year Award by Frost & Sullivan 2016 and the New Product Innovation Leadership Award 2016 for its innovation in Nippon VirusGuard, Malaysia’s first anti-viral coating.